click here for video documentary and WAFB-9 News report on the evolution of Magnaville Farms
Sustainable Innovations Inc.™ is advisor to
Magnaville Farms, a livelihood improvement farm for 49 dislocated households from Hurricane Katrina.
Meat on a Mission
Magnaville is developing a holistic approach to organic and sustainable farming involving all qualified members of the community.
Micro Farms are sole proprietor farmer/franchisee operations responsible for the grow out and care of chickens, pigs, tilapia and crawfish. The Micro Farm Operator must provide:
- Three to Four hours per day, six to eight months a year on premises to provide consistent, high quality care of livestock;
- Feeding a healthy vegetarian diet without added antibiotics or hormones;
- Ensuring they have ample fresh water and pasture access;
- Maintenance of fences, steams and pastures;
- Health maintenance and use of natural therapeutics;
- Allow animals to engage in their natural behaviors;
- Raising animals with sufficient space, shelter and gentle handling to limit stress; and
- Participate in Monitoring systems.
We call it Meat on a Mission!
Magnaville is a small Louisiana community built to house displaced New Orleans residents, and is thriving almost two years after Hurricane Katrina struck the region.
Dubbed Canadaville by residents, Magnaville was created by Frank Stronach, chairman of auto parts company Magna International. Click below for video documentary, news reports, and additional resources.
Free Adobe Reader required;
click here to download.
- The evolution of Magnaville Farms: Short video documentary
- WAFB-9 News report: Short video
- Micro-Farms: Revitalizing Agriculture in North America
- 'Canadaville' thriving two years after Katrina: Interview with Dennis Mills, president of the Magnaville project
- Stronach's Louisiana Purchase: Canadian Business Jan 2006
- Organic Simmesport, Making History - The Organic Way: Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center
- Louisiana Organic Center of Excellence (LOCE):
- Overview of the Louisiana Organic Center of Excellence, an educational outreach center.
- Mission Statement: Building and Sustaining the Organic Economy.
- Enterprise Platform: The Louisiana Organic Center of Excellence strengthens and assists by expanding economic and employment opportunities.
below: video documentary on the evolution of Magnaville Farms